Well I’m now back home from the conference and more or less recovered, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to note down some of the key ideas that I want to look into further.
- I was recommended to have a look at the work of Nicholas Humphrey, on consciousness.
- A couple of game engines to investigate are the CryEngine and the OGRE open-source 3d engine.
- There seems to be a growning interest in Alternate Reality Games, with interesting presentations from Kurt Squire (a mystery game on water pollution) and Jantina Huizenga from the University of Amserdam (teaching history of Amsterdam).
- The Games, Learning and Society conference is one to think about in future.
- It might also be worth reading up on the work of Edward Castronova, Will Wright, and the literaure on social capital.
The abstracts from the conference are available on the conference web site.